Fedaykin

Should 'Assault Weapons' be allowed in Firefly games?

Should 'assault weapons' be allowed or not?   35 members have voted

1. 1. Should 'assault weapons' be allowed in Firefly games?

• Never
    • Alliance only
    • Restricted by law enforcement permits
    • 'Don't get caught by the law'
    • I only have AEGs and don't want to hire

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 posts in this topic

How about this for an idea. The Alliance are the only force who are legally allowed to have assault weapons. However, if some nefarious group wanted to rob the bank or take out some rivals then they could try to track down an arms dealer. If they can find one, convince him that they are not under cover feds (calls for a bit or role play) and they have the cash to pay for it they could purchase the use of some assault weapons. This would allow them access to the weapons (using the idea of this only being hire guns) and a limited amount of ammo. They could then use them for the job in hand, as long as they don’t get caught with them before hand. But once the job is done they have to be returned (effectively they are getting rid of any evidence linking them to the job).

I think this might encourage the role play element and would also mean that there is extra firepower if you need it, but you have to work for it.

So, so far the favoured option appears to be:

• Alliance Soldiers allowed assault weapons
  • Law Enforcement allowed assault weapons if circumstances dictate - maybe should depend on Alliance or not
  • Hire AEGs for sale in game from a dealer are prefered method for other teams to have access to them
  • Certain fixed emplacements on full auto could be good for heavy defence of key installations

Will trial in game sale of BBs at next game - Alliance factions/law enforcement may have more open access though.

All guns will be restricted to semi and midcaps regardless

Obviously if Jayne ever does make an appearance then he will need to have Vera with him at all time (any takers from the larger members of this forum....). I would even suggest that he can take a few hits without needing to fall down, just shrugging the wounds off and limping a bit.

^ As much as I love being Alliance, Fedaykin and I were recently talking about the need to get the Serenity crew back in to make the game a proper Firefly roleplay rather than just a western in space. Despite the fact that I'm not all that big, I have volunteered to be Jayne if the need arises (I'll grow a goatee and everything).

That being the case I totally agree with Matty's idea above! (provided some gun tech can make me a ridiculously ugly but powerful supergun).

Just realised I can use this forum on my phone xD

Jayne should duel wield M60's and have a WW2 style bazooka as a side arm! And eat pyro for light snacks!

I may be in need of some cybernetic arm implants if I end up playing Jayne then?

I'm also going to start a 'wanted' thread for some combat boots with 5 inch heels since Adam Baldwin is 6'4 and I'm only 5'11...

i'm quite fond of having my FPG in my back pocket to fall back on when everything goes to tits, like it did when i was defending the vault from browncoats and everything else i had was out of ammo.

also kwa vector <3

At the start of the serenity film, you hear the hicks in the town say that sounded like a repeater. Auto weapons are not that common in the setting. Most planets have them restricted, some planets just dont have a high enough tech level to produce them. The engineering level on some planets is like the wild west, hence the number of old guns you see in the setting.

Chances are if you are a merc you might be able to get hold of one, but keeping it in ammo might be tricky. Not to mention keeping it away from the law enforcement. You would have to be really stupid to carry one around, notice Jayne generally takes a pistol and or shotgun on most missions and he has a truck load of guns available.

The alliance had recently beaten down the browncoats and they dont want it to happen again so they want to keep the amount of high tech weapons kicking around low. However money and contacts will mean you can get them.

Sorry for butting in as the new guy, btw.

I think the hire guns from a black maket dealer sounds pretty awesome, but it should be time limited, and he should be able to send some goons round to reclaim them, should they not be returned in time - with the obvious trouble that might bring.

As has been said about the money - printing off larger denominations and asking people with a stash to swap it in would probably help you a great deal, but then having other people find change for the larger denomination notes might be problematic - an Idea would be to let them "purchase" something usable - a stash of ammo, for instance, or maybe a slow continuous supply of ammo, even (a handfull of rounds every now and then)

Alliance should really be the only guys with full auto weapons, as "fluff-wise" the production of anything that isnt aproximately western-era (or atleast pre WW2) is quite heavily regulated by the Alliance (Used to play the Serenity RPG system for quite a while, so know some background).

As a newcomer, I'm quite looking forward to seeing more of this, I havent seen Firefly LARP stuff outside of the US.

A idea borrowed from a couple of books.

You rent a gun for a fixed period (lets go with one hour) and you put down a deposit on it.

If you return the gun your deposit is returned and you part no questions asked if you lose or don't return it on time the gun seller keeps the deposit and sets bounty hunters/ his enforcers on you who will promptly rob you of your cash and the weapon if you still have it. Wepon is returned bounty hunters keep cash as payment.

A idea borrowed from a couple of books.

You rent a gun for a fixed period (lets go with one hour) and you put down a deposit on it.

If you return the gun your deposit is returned and you part no questions asked if you lose or don't return it on time the gun seller keeps the deposit and sets bounty hunters/ his enforcers on you who will promptly rob you of your cash and the weapon if you still have it. Wepon is returned bounty hunters keep cash as payment.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at, but structured and expanded upon better, lol.

I like the idea of being able to give your own weapons to the arms dealer who will be at a fixed location but won't be able to be touched by the alliance/law enforcement agencies, pretty much a price range to get your weapon back would go like this:

• Long assault rifles will be the cheapest (anything M4A1 and bigger) due to them being harder to conceal, more difficult to use in a CQB enviroment such as a bank robbery, mainly for citizens who have heard of an impending reaver attack.
  • Short assault rifles will be slightly more expensive (anything shorter than an M4A1 and no shorter than a g36c with stock extended) if you have a gun with a folding stock it much be used with the stock folded out at all times.
  • SMGs (shorter than a g36c with stock extended) will be slightly more expensive still because they are very easy to conceal and very handy for CQB engagement.
  • Support weapons (m249/RPK or anything that has mid caps available) these will be extremely expensive and only allowed to be used out doors, this would make assaults on alliance strong holds much easier for anyone using one, the price will make it so a number of people will have to put in or get a generous benefactor to sponsor said raid on a faction, these will not be available to any old muggins though, you'll have to know the right people.

Hopefully that makes sense to most people and I'm not rambling on to myself, would make the game much deeper, I'll leave it to the organizers to sort the base price.

1 person likes this

Well I just Nerdgasmed. Where Oh where can I get a BB Vera? Or Mal's Gun? Reavers Armed with pistols, shotty and larp safe weapons would rock like a mountain top.