Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fedaykin

Zombie Game Feedback (22/01/12) - Now with pictures

78 posts in this topic

Yeah sorry about breaking character Jevans, but when I got so close to getting you and you screamed ( a little girley to be honest) I just couldn't keep a straight face on the floor. New rule Zombies can't laugh when dead.

1 person likes this

The pics and video (especially those shot in the dinner break) will take a bit of work as I believe they were shot specially for an advertisement campaign - wouldnt expect those too soon! Regular photos are normally up within a couple of days.

Enjoyed the game although we could have done with more zombies, there was quite a lot of waiting around at the base while others completed missions etc, things got much better after dinner as it started to get a little darker then the fear set in as it actually got dark. In comparison to the first zombie game, it was totally different and the level of "scaryness" was much, much higher in the first game.

Ammo limits are all well and good, and while it "is" a survival game - those of us paying £35 to play as a survivor, fighting against zombies who've paid nothing are rather reluctant to get zombiefied and tend to pop the zombies as best we can.

To be honest I don't think we had too much of an issue with ammo, at least from what I saw from the D1 team - I was very careful with mine and had about 25 rounds left at the end of the day - only having refilled a mag once with bbs sourced from an ammo cache, and even then it was about 15 bbs. I can see how 100rnds could be considered generous, but less than that would have made for a very tough day. Perhaps play with the balance of it a little - give survivors only 50 rounds instead and then have more bbs in the ammo caches. Perhaps have a single pyro in the caches but have a reason to use it - like defend an area for long enough to "blow" the location and stop the zombie advance from there?

I agree zombies tended to go down easy at the beginning but to be honest if there were a lot more zombies then they would have easily overrun us right at the start - the zombie numbers I think are the finest balanced aspect of these events - too much either side of the line and the days don't go well.

I think what would have resolved the zombie issue is to split the zombies in to small teams - say 5 or 6 zombies, and give one person per team a radio, so the zombies can co-ordinate their attacks better. Nothing stopping the zombies from grouping together in larger numbers but a single radio would be cool - maybe dress the radio zombies in military camo to give the impression of infected soldiers - that way the radio just looks like part of their kit. Obviously we don't want it to be too uniform of course and not to be used all the time as it kind of breaks realism but I do believe it would allow the smaller numbers of zombies a better chance of taking down survivors. Also, unlike with normal game days the zombie teams wouldnt get split up as much due to the self-regen the zombies have.

For example a co-ordinated invasion of the "safe houses" would have been pretty damn awesome, with zombies coming in both doorways at the same time and through the windows as well - but give the survivors reasons to need to stay downstairs rather than just to flee upstairs instead.

Perhaps for the next event maybe try a "left 4 dead" style of structuring the day - split the day into 3 parts as normal, but have each part of the day be a stand alone mini-event - like the campaigns on L4D - with tight time limits, enhanced zombies and epic set pieces.

For example, like we had at the end of the day - a small supply run, then a last stand whilst awaiting evac. Maybe have another one where the survivors have been driven out of their home base and are moving through city streets to a new safe house - perhaps use the road between the D-buildings as the route the survivors take and have the zombies either side of the road in an ambush, coming screaming out of the buildings sprinting like nutters. Dunno about you guys but that would scare the shit out of me! :D

Edited by DanBeresford

Ammo limits are all well and good, and while it "is" a survival game - those of us paying £35 to play as a survivor, fighting against zombies who've paid nothing are rather reluctant to get zombiefied and tend to pop the zombies as best we can.

well mabe less standing around the dead horde to take pot shots and more running away,

hence more strict ammo limits as did any of the survivours actually run out of ammo

1 person likes this

Running isn't exactly something I can do very well, being asthmatic, but I do see your point. Maybe less ammo would be good - perhaps halve the ammo count and see what happens.

1 person likes this

well mabe less standing around the dead horde to take pot shots and more running away,

hence more strict ammo limits as did any of the survivours actually run out of ammo

Asking for lower ammo limits means the zombies will have to change their style of play too. A few times in an attempt to save ammo me and mine tried to lure all the zombies out of a building so we could search the building without shooting the 10 odd zombies that were in the building, only for said zombies to get to the door of the building then turn back and go back inside.

If you want people to have less ammo, you have to give them a way to clear buildings without firing that limited ammo. Otherwise it would make gathering objectives too hard and risky for the most part, as someone pointed out up the thread, there's a significant amount of people that dont want to spend time playing as a zombie having paid to play as a survivor.

So I'd be happy to limited to one magazine in a gun if I knew that I could lure zombies away with noise and by jumping around, if I could then loose them by sneaking through a building and loosing them.

I think what would have resolved the zombie issue is to split the zombies in to small teams - say 5 or 6 zombies, and give one person per team a radio, so the zombies can co-ordinate their attacks better. Nothing stopping the zombies from grouping together in larger numbers but a single radio would be cool - maybe dress the radio zombies in military camo to give the impression of infected soldiers - that way the radio just looks like part of their kit. Obviously we don't want it to be too uniform of course and not to be used all the time as it kind of breaks realism but I do believe it would allow the smaller numbers of zombies a better chance of taking down survivors. Also, unlike with normal game days the zombie teams wouldnt get split up as much due to the self-regen the zombies have.

That was actually happening just took the zombie squads a game or two to get organisied.

there was quite a lot of waiting around at the base while others completed missions etc

working on that - more fetchers and carriers and more props will help there - also better prop identification i.e. specific coloured glowsticks and labels

ammo limits are there purely to add a realistic feel and increase the tension in the game - moar adrenaline am better. with that in mind i want the games to actually be survivable so you do actually have a chance and so ammo limits will never be too restricted, or if they are there will be more reload opportunities.

one other point i should make is that games will vary between all out survivor games to special forces zombie hunting and so a range of rules and difficulties will be played.

Great day, everyone on my team had fun. :)

Couple of points - The difficulty curve needs a bit of attention: the first game was pretty much too easy and a walk in the park, the last game felt like there was just no chance of winning.

If the zombies are going to get harder and take more hits to kill, etc, that's fine but it would be a good idea to get a warning that this has happened from team leaders/marshals/whatever to prevent any thoughts of cheating.

Ammo limit could have been a lot tighter on the first game and then make the found ammo caches much more important. As the zombies get faster and stronger you're going to need more ammo to achieve the same results.

A spec-ops style zombie hunt "clear the area" type of thing could be good, I'd like to play that game. :)

Seriously, these events are a veritable goldmine of terror and fun in equal measure, and with the F&O sites being so varied the possibilities for awesome scenarios really are endless.

Experimenting with the format of the games and mission objectives, etc. can be used to great effect - in these events more than any other - and I really don't think that mixing it up would hurt in any measure.

With milsims you have some semblance of rigidity of structure and theme as you are emulating military engagements - order and strict rules are part and parcel of the concept, and kind of the point really. With these zombie events that goes right out the window, and whilst structure and rigidity can't hurt, the fantastical nature of a zombie apocalypse lends itself very well to an 'organised chaos' way of running things.

There's a ton of flexibility in the zombie event by it's very nature, and so having a new idea and running with it often works a hell of a lot easier than with a true milsim, I'd wager.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Fedaykin and the other organisers and marshals can pretty much go nuts with the concepts here and they'll still work - and even if the survivors get absolutely mullered it'd still be a great laugh.

So I'd be happy to limited to one magazine in a gun if I knew that I could lure zombies away with noise and by jumping around, if I could then loose them by sneaking through a building and loosing them.

as a zombie i saw plenty of times for the survivours to clear buildings with next to no shots if they actually had cardio ( if you can't outrun a zombie when they where just shufflers then i don't know how you have survived)

if you lure zombies away from the buildings with distractions then its just to easy for the survivours and no scares

survivours should be low on ammo or its just the army fighting the undead as you ain't gona find ammo everywhere and even if you do, it aint gona be a stockpile like in america.

i get what you mean by people paying as survivours, but what are they expecting a theam park spook house where the monsters don't touch you or a proper taste of fear,

mabe for next time

if the rules and ammo limit where to stay the same, it would work better if there where rouge survivours that hunted down other survivours or an army squad who where clearing out survivour groups as then you will have to be looking out for other infected groups

so zombies will be zombies

the army just patrol the road and shoots everyone or detains survivours/stranded player/objective

survivours are attempting to escape whilst avoiding the horde and the milatairy

so instead of less paying spaces with a higher price (as the site needs to make rent) keep the same amount of paying space but choose if your the good guy or bad guy in zombieland

1 person likes this

"as a zombie i saw plenty of times for the survivours to clear buildings with next to no shots if they actually had cardio ( if you can't outrun a zombie when they where just shufflers then i don't know how you have survived)"

As one person has stated, running and cardio is not their thing being asthmatic. You have to try and cater for all players remember.

"if you lure zombies away from the buildings with distractions then its just to easy for the survivors and no scares"

Doesn't really have to be that way. for the survivor that has lured the horde away he's got a task on his hands and the people that are sweeping the building will still expect zombies to be in there, plus having one mag, say 15 rounds for the average pistol mag, will make two or three zombies a more significant threat. Not every zombie has to leave the building, but some leaving would add another element.

Remember its still airsoft, people still want to shoot their guns and shoot other people. Making a game hard to survive and making it a real struggle all the way through is a different game altogether which would possibly be played by a different player.

A military unit would alter the balance of the whole game too, as they would have the fire power to kill survivors and zombies in one sweep.

There is a happy medium to be found here, its just about getting there now :)

So, first things first - this was an excellent game and I can't give enough praise to the pro zombies on the day, they behaved entirely in character and acted like little more than instinct-driven flesheaters the entire day. Most excellent work folks, you've got to have a screw loose to volunteer to get shot all day but I'm really glad you did. As ever my thanks also go to Fed for pulling this together and making it all click.

Onto some random thoughts -

Zombies don't need to run, sprint or do anything more than shuffle towards you, ever. The first session was, for me, the best of the day as it was the most atmospheric. The thing with shamblers is that on their own they can be avoided but then you find yourself facing them in multiple directions and it gets considerably more tense. A group of 4 or more with other singles in multiple directions and you've got a real issue. On numerous occasions in the first game the zombies would be shuffling our way and we'd bug out at a jog to be on the safe side. That's a clear sign of an opponent with an upper hand.

The two high points of the day from my perspective were from early on - the tail end of the first game we were assaulting the training theatre which was heaving with the dead (like 6 or something!) and despite them being at the shamble while we were armed we lost our first attack entirely, and then in the second the legendary zombie hunter in our group was eaten having not properly checked his corners.

The second high point was in the second game with 5 of us clearing a building, stumbling on 2 zombies in the process and only 3 of us made it out. These weren't rapid moving zombies in the slightest, they kept coming until we screwed up.

Zombies' strength comes from the fact that they're relentless - they just keep coming, and while I was unsure about the 30 second rule to begin with, this made a downed zombie something to be concerned about.

That said, I agree that the ratio of survivors to zombies wasn't perfect but this could be rectified by giving survivors considerably fewer rounds of ammo. Personally I used less than 50 shots in the whole day, having fired less than 20 in the first two games combined. Fewer shots means your unarmed, relentless opponents are far more threatening, and that's the mood you want to create. Yes, airsoft folk want to let rip with their toys and some of yesterday's survivors maybe forgot the need to conserve ammo but oddly that never seemed to slow them down.

If each player were initially given 25 or less rounds to use it'd also means you could de-restrict the use of AEGs : if some fool wants to go full auto with their few shots, let them! This would take policing from the marshals - not least of all in anyone "salvaging" bbs from the site.

I'd also adjust the rules regarding melee weapon use. The risk involved was too low risk and largely too effective I'd also be in favour of enforcing the "one weapon only" rule.

The combination of these moves would severely hamper the survivors and make the zombies considerably more dangerous.

The really tricky bit is then working out how to make the zombies increase in threat throughout the course of the day. A mid-session cut-off point after which there is no recovering from being bitten would start to see the numbers of dead increasing, however what might work better is an overall objective for the day to clear the area of zombies and as the day progresses compress where the hoard is active, ending with an assault on the embassy before a dash to the extraction point.. or some such. Encountering a handful of the dead was always pretty exciting, but encountering a dozen or more was a real knuckle-up situation.

All that said any changes needed are minor and can be achieved by working on the fact that zombies don't need to run to be scary.

2 people like this

i cannot agree enough this was an excellent day and i had a lot of fun and will play a zombie again but just my thourghts for improvement,

i think that the first game was a bit on the easy side for the survivors primarilary because they had only just gone out with full ammo there was the full fifty survivors so the ratio zombie ratio was the worst and the zombies where the least aggresive of the day. this may be rectifiable just by hinting to the survivors that ammo throughout the day is less available than it actually is thus making it harder for them at the start as they may think that 100 mmight have to do them all day with no reload, i say this as quite a few of the people i got shot from a lot in the first game i saw later just dryfiring at me or running a lot.

i thourght the second game was superb and a fair balance for both teams

third game i thourght was a bit in favour of the zombies maybe a couple of mounted aegs in the magazine with fairly limited ammo, depeing on how many zombies there where but mount them in such a way that they have obvous blind spots that the rest of the team has to cover

as for the zombie agression/amount of running i partly agree they dont need to move that fast, however i think if they where limited to a 3 step burst of speed it could make them more potent aspecially against larger groups and it should always be in the zombies best interest to get shot at such times even if they dont get anyone as it uses survivor ammo. also a bit of speed would come in handy for when the survivors had a firing line in the pub as it can be hard to motivate people to walk into a room with that many in. i ran in a few times i knew i wouldnt get anywhere but i was a zombie and i was hungry.

anyway like i said brilliant day look forward to the next one

the legendary zombie hunter in our group was eaten having not properly checked his corners.

the zombie had the ammo crate with my name on it, my team needed ammo yeah! was funny as hell, considering i ran in the first time and pulled my shotgun trigger to find ive ran out of ammo and dry fired tucked tail and ran back out.

1 person likes this

Just remembering a few instances of epic fun being had (by myself at least - cannot speak for others of course but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves :P) and thought I'd share them here.

1) Doing a snatch and grab on the stores to locate and extract 3 boxes of medical supplies from the clutches of the undead. Managed to sweep and clear a section with Dunk (Shivatastic) and David Gawne, checking doors as we went. We came to a closed door and Dunk asked if it could be opened or was it sealed shut. So I grabbed the handle to find out and when I pulled the door open there was a zombie right on the other side. Nearly shit a brick! :D

2) "Rescuing" Bibby from the magazine and getting myself zombified. Then spending the next hour wandering around the pub screaming my head off at anyone that came within 30 metres of it. For those people who heard this - can you tell I watched 28 Days Later last week to get into the mood?

3) The final stand at the pub, losing my team entirely after the giant clusterfuck that was the zombie charge (terrifying, btw!) and ending up stumbling across half a dozen survivors in the darkness near D1, and turning off our torches and slowly making our way toward the magazine in the dark - we had thought that the evac zone might have been the small concrete square behind D5 and were going to swing up and over the embankment to get there so as to avoid all the undead - only we ended up walking right into the magazine just as the zombie horde reached it!

Great fun guys, cannot wait for both the next event and the photos from Sunday! :D

@Dan

You didn't catch any of our pyros then? ;)

When? At the final stand at the magazine? Nah, we dodged those luckily.

Well, as we were leaving the pub the initial plan was to throw pyros through the front door (3 in total) and blow you all up as we knew there were only 12 places on the helicopter :D but Harrison got attacked so me and chewie ended up running like a pair of girls into the darkness. Stopped and took out a few zombies, then they got a little bit cheeky - took out chewie so me, Harrison and Price ended up running up the road toward the shooting range whilst throwing pyros behind us!

I thought we got one into the pub via the front door, but not sure ;)

We eventually hid in the bushes near the magazine so until a few more people turned up, then proceeded to enter the magazine. Oh then we all got ate as you know.

Edited by dfrear

I was in the group that came in from the trees to the left of the magazine, when we got there the zombies were already attacking.

From the sounds of it we were ahead of you when exfilling from the pub - I pretty much just leapt the barricades we had made and sprinted out the front door like shit off a shovel, undead right behind me! :D

I was the one with the Umbrella Inc. satchel dual wielding the 1911 MEU and SOCOM if anyone needs help ID-ing me. :D

Great video :)

My escape from the pub involved pushing the person in front of me into a zombie, shooting a couple of zombies on the way out, finding a fellow survivor in a cowboy hat, then both of us walking very slowly towards magazine only to get there after the evac had left !!

So now we wonder the wasteland that is zombie Britain surviving off what we can find looking for other survivors all the while trying for a way to contact another evac.

That would be me four leaf! We survived- might not have made it to the armoury, but weve got plenty of new zombie neighbours to keep us company!

I had a fantastic day. After hearing the hype feomthe other djinn lads I was already looking forward to it. I think the day worked well, and having to wait a little bit for the zombies to set up was far better than only encountering a few. My highlights:

Having my shotgun "jam" as a horde approached. Aaaagh!

Raiding the medical block in game three- that building is hard enough to fight through on a normal skirmish day, but with no light, zombies sneaking in, I was getting very nervous!

The final stand- in the pub, the movable wall started to, well, move! I dived at it to try and push it back into place. No- one helped me...... I had zombies clawing at me from round the corner as I tried my hardest to shove the wall back. Then we all ran away :)

Frear and Harrisson abandoning me- no love for fellow djinn? Shame on you! Well, I survived anyway!!!

My favourite point- all the players of the zombie horde. You guys made the day. You all got into the part! My favourites were the guy in the tesco jumpsuit and the fella who fell through a window in d1. Good job!

Can't make the April one, but I will definitly be down to the one after that!

1 person likes this

From the sounds of it we were ahead of you when exfilling from the pub - I pretty much just leapt the barricades we had made and sprinted out the front door like shit off a shovel, undead right behind me! :D

Na, we were the first 3 up there and saw you guys coming towards the trees - thats when we moved out as we couldnt be sure you werent zombies ;)

Just remembered, I popped my head through the window in D1 door only to suddenly see a zombie to the left of my head - he leapt forward and I went flying out the door popping off shotgun rounds into the poor guys hands :/

Edited by dfrear

Ah, so it was you guys flashing the torches our way? We did wonder. :D

When I finally got eaten I was at the back of the magazine and a stream of zombies came around the corner, with torches blinding me.

I tentatively asked "Friendly?" and they silently walked past me. It wasn't until I saw the big fella in the leather jacket and gory face makeup in amongst them that I opened up on them with my pistol but by then it was too late.

I take solace in the fact that my last words were "Oh shit!"

:lol:

Edited by DanBeresford