Four Leaf

Island of the Dead Feedback thread

36 posts in this topic

First of just want to say well played to everyone for a great days play and a big thanks to all the zombies.

Post your feedback here and let us know what you thought.

Very good game today. Kudos to the zombies for their acting. Peter looked like he had chicken pox at the end of the day. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Edited by jack.reynolds

Ow Ow OW OW please stop shooting me in the plums!

But no a great day with a few small issues but that's just cause its a different day to your average skirmish me thinks bloody great fun and JR you think i was bad wait till you see our resident pin cushion JP.

Cheers to four leaf, graham and everyone else for getting involved.

Oh man shower bed and looking forward to hurting in the morning i love zombie games.

Awesome day guys, so much fun. Even better than the last Zombie event at Anzio - and that is saying something!

Hats off to the marshals as always, but special mention to the zombies, who were absolutely amazing - brilliant sports and got completely hammered all day and still kept coming.

I took just over 30 minutes of video footage of the day, though knowing my connection speed it's going to take a LONG time to upload. I will link it here when it goes live on Youtube.

Photos will be up as soon as I can.

Did I get shot or attacked by a swarm of killer bees?

Seriously great day guys, but a few points:

1) Why are you trying to negotiate with me? I'm dead, I don't care that you're going to shoot me, I'm dead, I lust only for your brains.

2) If you think it takes 4 shots to kill me I guarantee I'll stay up for 5, and why would you go to the trouble of telling me.

3) Don't try and intimidate me with the size of your gun; read point 1

4) Thank you for telling me when you're reloading.

Really great play though, only caught a couple of shots in the head and to be fair these things happen. For the most part you guys were actually really considerate, although my khaki t-shirt is riddled with holes (marginally less than my torso).

Highlights: Apparently Gordon decided the best way to avoid having his nuts munched by yours truly was to hide behind the rest of the survivor team and feed them into the grinder ahead of herm. You're a real hero man.

Damn near got Four Leaf at the end, he's been on the recieving end of 'The Gore' before and I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast.

Apparently Vic's idea of crowd control being to aim his shotty at my nads for 90% of my incarceration, one word; effective.

Anyhow I've drained 3 beers as anaesthetic, now to try and get some sleep.

Braaiiiiiiiins!

1 person likes this

Quite enjoyed the day, think I might play the next event as a zombie - shrieks of terror and people backing the hell up are great - people seemed to like my theatrical death/ragdoll rolls too :D

Biggest 'nit pick' was having to load dirty ammo due to them picking up crud from the ammo tins. As team leaders were looking after reloads would it not be better to have people put a loaded speedloader into the tin for that person's use? That way the ammo is clean and can be what that person specifically uses weight wise.

Few things weren't made clear early on that could have done with clarifying before game on:

1) Amount of time it took to process zombies

2)how zombies were to be detained - when I heard "2 people on them" I understood this to mean simply having a gun trained on them so the zombie knew to try and reanimate would result in being put down quickly. Instead it meant having hands on to restrain them - though perhaps this got confused from the point of it needing two people to grapple/transport zombies?

From the story/theme thread the 'food and drink in safe zone' could be interpretted as lunch being provided though this didn't seem to be the case. Didn't affect me as I brought lunch.

So to sum up, the only negatives I noticed from my perspective were more administrative than anything to do with the gameplay in of itself, most of which were smoothed out over the course of the day.

Videos will hopefully be uploaded tonight all going well, in the mean time here are the photos I took:

photobucket.com/islandofthedead

Fecking car I am getting rid of it now :(

Sorry couldnt make it guys my darling italian POS let me down for the last time

sounds like an epic day too .... am off to cry in the comp room now

I had a great time, bloody tired today though...maybe I'm being haunted by the undead in my head!

Best/Scariest moments were 1) checking out the munitions area at the start of the 2nd game and looking in a bigbag when the leather waistcoated zombie came out from around the corner, that made me scream a little like a girl..

2) checking out the bar in the pub and that Banana came out from round the back and had me scuttling away with my covering man taking ages to shoot him only for the leather waistcoated one to come from nowhere again to scare the sh*t out of me!

3) sprinting like a mofo at the end with two very quick zombies trying to get me...I almost pooed...

Awesome, fun day and a massive thanks to the zombies...they took a pounding, but just kept getting back up! Respect..!

1 person likes this

Awesome day it was!

big thanks to Pete who killed me the same way like the last zombie game. Bloody gun didn't fire. . . XD

And I'm sorry to the guy/zombie I shot in the thigh. . . twice. . . in the same spot. I feel really guilty haha

1 person likes this

Ace day, thanks to everybody involved!!!

I was a bit concerned about the lack of darkness at this game... but to be honest I was too busy running away from zombies to care/notice...

Big thanks to the Marshalls for sorting yet another awesome day!

1 person likes this

big thanks to Pete who killed me the same way like the last zombie game. Bloody gun didn't fire. . . XD

Oh man the amount of people whos guns crap the bed while being charged by a zombie was nuts not a gas gun day :P

Hi Guys,

Just a small note on behalf of the Scottish team that were on-site for Z-Day.

We were a bit unsure of how much we'd actually enjoy this. And it was certainly with some trepidation that we started the day.

Absolutely no grounds for uncertainty whatsoever. We've recounted every shot fired, every engagement and each dash made on Sunday on the way up the road today. It was by far, one of the best airsofting experiences any of us has ever enjoyed.

Hats off to the Zombie team, you guys were amazing!

We will definitely make a point of returning, and are already checking our diaries to see how we can sync up with another Z-Day.

Cheers!

Scott

2 people like this

Oh man the amount of people whos guns crap the bed while being charged by a zombie was nuts not a gas gun day :P

One of the best bits of footage I got that day

*Blap, blap, blap-psssssh* Nooooooooo!

Gameplay was great as ever and the full time zombies were excellent, however it might be worth adding some "leave the area" instructions for the z-team as there were several occasions where the same zombie just kept coming at us to the point that it was a bit ridiculous.

Other areas for improvement lie in the execution of the storyline - while Globex were looking for research parts it was great as it gave a real sense of purpose, as did the interception of military supply drops. The problem came from the research effectively having no purpose in game 3, similarly the military's purpose disappeared and it became a mad rush for the chopper. Also hampering this section of the game was the infinite medic rule - the shootout between survivors was utterly futile (although I may have instigated that) since everyone was back in play in seconds.

Not entirely convinced that having 3 (almost) equal teams worked quite right - the dynamic between the three wasn't quite right as there was very little need for any interaction, and the assumption on meeting them was that they would shoot on sight. To quote one of Globex's finest from the second game "Are the military about to bum us?"

Food rations *could* have worked out really well, but it turned out that there was a massive surplus, so no team ever ran dry. With the lack of food being a real possibility we'd have seen more interaction between the human teams.

The need for a big ending is a given, but we're going to need some variety.

Onto some more positive notes :

- every member of Globex is getting a bonus. Absolute stars, the lot of you. The production line of zombie probing ran the line between great fun and pretty tension-building at the same time, I think there's more we can do with that mechanic to make it even more tense.

- the Corporate Walk was a thing of beauty.

- the pub rush at the end of the second game was awesome.

- ammo limits worked out really well, especially in the second game where we ran out at one point. If there's a constant risk of being out of ammo there'll be some proper tension.

- as well as highlighting the zombie team itself (quality as ever) also worth highlighting the players who became zombies over the course of a game, they did a really good job at taking the role on.

Overall a really good day. A couple of niggling points where there's room for improvement, but they didn't diminish the day as a whole.

1 person likes this

I think the Corporate Walk just became our thing for the Zombie events. So much fun.

Just a heads up, I should have the helmet cam footage up some time tomorrow evening. Just over/under 10 minutes and I just need to add the titles/captions to explain a few things happening on screen. Hopefully, you'll all find it worth the wait ;)

bwa-ting!

OK - leetle premature but it's at 16% upload as of this message so by the time most people are awake or on break this should be live.

EDIT: Due to the size etc and the upload rate eta on it being live is about 0915

Edited by DanH
2 people like this

Hey All,

Hope You All Had A Great Day I certainly did, some of you guys also play Great zombies :) ... the atmosphere to the day was awesome hope i didn't scare some people to much ...lol... Theres Always One Awkward Zombie!!

Really enjoyed playing a zombie for you guys And Hope You All Enjoyed The Day.

Right, my footage did get uploaded to youtube but it was corrupted during the upload so I am currently uploading it again.

Great footage from both of you guys :) The zombie cam footage was ace. Hearing that guys pistol vent just as the zombies were surrounding him was topped only by his mates brave run to try and save him seconds later, which sadly ended in death for both involved.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming as its all valid and we take it all on board.