Muskett00

What would make Anzio F&O even more amazing?? Ideas?

45 posts in this topic

I recently attended 'The Asylum, Kidderminster' and although it was an excellent day, it did not compare to Anzio. There were however, a few things I liked about their set-up, and I wondered if we could all suggest some idea's or opinions on how Anzio could get even better. Why not improve what is already the best site I know. Hopefully, the Marshals/ Jamie may consider some of our thoughts...

1. Grenades/ Knife deaths... - I like that your grenades and knife kills mean instant death... I hate the thought of being shot/ killed by someone you just shredded with your 'frag' (pyro) which was so adeptly used at great expense, only for a '10 second patch up' to revive the wounded/ shredded soldier. If you knife someone, they can just walk away back to base with no need to stand there for 3mins in silence. Its a give away they got knifed... (I think asking people whom got fragged or knifed to wait 2 mins at respawn would be great but perhaps overly optimistic!>

Grenades and knife kills should mean instant death/ no revive. That is just my opinion anyhow.

2. Windows... - I hated them all being boarded up in the asylum, and love the way they are so open at Anzio, but certain parts of them being boarded up made great atmosphere, and eventually (once the shit rooms have been cleared and the site fully opened), it could be cool to have some of the windows (but not the majority) boarded up... For example, those that would encourage 'gun above head' blind-fire (top of stairwells ex). Or the smaller rooms.. The darkness of the embassy is kind of what makes it my favourite building on the site... Certain bits of the D buildings could have 'restricted' light also, meaning it would encourage sneaky gits! I would hate a whole side of a building to be isolated, and even much of it to be... but there is possibly bits that could be boarded to reduce visibility... Just an idea again, but one that could be cool...

3. Points/ and progressive gaming. I liked that when we held certain positions at the asylum, they scoredevery 'say' 20 minutes, and it encouraged assault of key positions... That's something that would easily work at Anzio

4. This one is a big one... We swapped spawn points at half time... Ever had to fight against the wind all day. It has ruined my game when I had to, and meant a large advantage for the team with the wind at their backs... even without wind, I have played games where we have been isolated at the Magazine and effectively trapped. Spawn points I would like to see are, PUB/ Garage vs D4/ D3, or D2 vs D5...

5.Open-Days... -> I loved all the featured scenarios of the corp-wars/ clan based/ multi objective progressive gaming you do. It may sound silly, but the plot makes the game for me. Why not more on open days... I think from the amount of feedback you have received from hosted events you should have a good idea what us lot love! Perhaps bring it into the open days.

6. Just an idea, but what about objectives that could be on the fly changing... and communicated by marshals live in game... Less stoppages, more orders from the 'generals'... Planning required to work smoothly... I like when there are 'leaders communicating orders and objectives via a base'. Have something akin to this where, Team A has a person (that swaps with every respawn). The intel is passed from the commander. the next person to respawn takes this role and issues the latest objective to the team... ok I'm waffling and don't know where I'm going with this?!?!

7. Safe-zone... The top car park AND the point near the main safe zone is EXCELLENT PLAY ZONE - Is it possible ever to make people park up at the top carpark, and utilize the great playzone of the armoury <-> field section.

8, Safe-zone. I like that eye pro is compulsory in the whole site except inside buildings at Asylum... Make eye - pro compulsory outside of the hangar!

9. Mag's out at end-ex. less errors. Not sure about this one, as I like to 'tune my gun in', It kind of makes it better and wastes less time with noobs pissing about. Annoying when your waiting for your team to stop shooting each other!

10. Searching for idea's... Why not have a pillbox or 2 between medical and garage? that open space is crap.

11. Cutting the hedge back behind Embassy. This could be good or bad. I was just thinking about redefining the corridor on the path?!

12. Doors. Some are broken and need to be permanently open. I hate doors that are jammed shut! Nothing worse than entering a window and having to jump back out as you got stuck.

13. Glass in bunker/ toilets... Put it through it its broken. its too tempting!... Board it up or make it another access point.

14. This is a question... Was D1 better when there was only one stairway up?! I don't think so, but I'm throwing it out there!

15. It there any way to use the centre of the D buildings better, as they are not used at all really. Mainly because they are open from all sides... Perhaps back to the point earlier... If the central windows were boarded up, the middle zone would be 'safe' and could be very useful for getting from diagonal points... possibly board the top windows facing inwards (or some of them (like all but the corner ones?!) and board the same below, making a transit point from door entry via stairs to opposite corner?!

16. Hows about teams putting their radio frequency on a board at base, and working together... encourage co-op. Its all about the getting into role! Get coms working for those who use it. 'Recruits' can be guided by veterans, and even we can relay info.

17. Following on from 16. At base, have names/ callsigns for individual players and teams, and even little squads operating... this steals from the commander idea, whom can relay and co-ordinate teams positions from a base hub...

Edited by Muskett00
2 people like this

I like 11, 15, 16 and 17.

Point 10 - Some random cover on the car park between medical block and the garage would help assault across it but it would also be like "Why is there cover in the middle of the car park?" takes away from the overall feeling of the site that it is just an abandoned MoD base but yeah it would be useful :P.

Point 4 - Yeah, having a respawn at the Firing Range, Magazine all day is disheartening lol

I think callsigns and squads etc. is a must with pretty much most sites. It gives more depth and makes the games feel more immersive. I understand that not everyone can/wants to fork out cash for radios, but having small squads to focus on certain objectives would be cool. Else it ends up as a situation of pumping more and more people at an objective until defenders get overwhelmed, which kind of kills it for me. As you said, amateurs could stick with the veterans.

Having a general or commander of sorts would always be good, and opens up realms of having your leader captured, then going to rescue them.

Your point about knifes and grenades is very good, knifes should instantly be a regen. Grenades should be perhaps 1 minute bleed out, instead of 3 or 5. Grenades would naturally do more damage over bullets, but you wouldnt necessarily be killed instantly.

Also, mags-out at endex is a good suggestion, helps propel the day along quicker with less hiccups.

This is a god thread, hopefully more people put their ideas forward too, it improves it for everyone as well a themselves.

I think your points about the Bleed outs on grenades & Knifes are good, however its very hard to communicate across to new (and some existing) players- just making things on open days more complicated.

I believe regens at the tops of the site are mainly so we can use as much of the site as possible, however like at Bolton last weekend we could introduce a 'portable regen' so if you get the objective into a certain building you can respawn there, until the building is captured.

Building wise all those ideas are good, however remember we dont own the site & the natives tare up most of what we do anyway- & the courtyards in the D buildings at the minute are too dangerous I believe thats why they're out of bounds & taped off

I liked the new additions on the stairways, giving you more cover when defending them from sneaky people!

I think we could def do with knocking the shelves out of every D building, every game I hit my head on one, but thats because im the most clumsy person ever to have lived.

On the whole though I like the externals of the site, feels natural rather than other places which are all plywood structures which I hate. F&O do seem to like to keep everything realistic to a point, which I find great :D

1 person likes this

think the commander idea was trialled a while back with a marshal on each team organising squads and updating information. to my memory it failed quite badly because controlling airsofters is like herding cats. most of that day was spent with everyone saying "whats going on, wheres the objective what are we supposed to be doing" etc

windows wise I doubt they'd last long if they were boarded up, judging by how long it took for everything else to be broken

1 person likes this

I like your windows idea. It'd really change the gameplay around the site and in buildings. Not too difficult to do and change either.

2 people like this

I like the changing reasons after lunch idea and the team radio freq. Perhaps not on a board for the other team to see though! But on the other hand, listening to enemy coms could make for some great ambushes etc ;) over all some good point imo. And I agree with taking the shelves out of the d buildings, perhaps something for a build day?

1 person likes this

I like your windows idea. It'd really change the gameplay around the site and in buildings. Not too difficult to do and change either.

Defo gets my vote. I love the D buildings, but they lack the quirkyness that the embassy and the pub have. Maybe just fiddle with one, say D3, that seems to only be used as a through route from D2 to D4 and vica versa. I'd like to see the top floor blacked out and maybe the access restricted down stairs to give it a different "ethos"?

1 person likes this

i think more milsim style games where you have limited ammo and also more zombie games where its springer and pistols only, i missed the one last year and i was really disappointed

Thanks so far to everyone who contributed, and its good to hear that some of the ideas have had universal approval. Perhaps the Marshal's and Owners could consider some of the points too, and provide some feedback of their own.

How about Knifing dead players to send them back, and avoid them getting medic'd... you couldn't do this in a fire fight, but it would be an idea if someone is in your room shouting for a medic you could leave them as bait or you could knife them to shut them up and send them packing!!!

Safety brief - perhaps it could be more time effective to have the safety brief printed on paper and when you pay you receive the safety brief, and as you leave the safe zone to go up to the game briefing you have to give in your safety brief paper and sign a piece of paper to say you've read and understood it.

that way there should be no "oh sorry i didn't hear that in the brief" leaving no excuses.

It would obviously save time as you can read it while bombing up and also can help as occasionally some vital points can be missed out.

Only downside is perhaps some people might not take reading it too seriously and not read it at all n just sign to say they have which could effect gameplay if someone is playing incorrectly

Your thoughts?

Spike.

Safety brief - perhaps it could be more time effective to have the safety brief printed on paper and when you pay you receive the safety brief, and as you leave the safe zone to go up to the game briefing you have to give in your safety brief paper and sign a piece of paper to say you've read and understood it

I know for a fact 100% that I wouldn't read it..... I'd just sign it. And anyone new to the site wouldn't know the site specific rules :/

And it's not a case of being covered legally for safety things it's we really don't want people to get hurt.

The biggest thing that needs to change with the safety briefs is people not responding straight away when we call for the brief in my opinion- a few Anzios ago we got fed up waiting and forced a group of players to wait until after the game started for their brief as they were holding everyone else up.

We need to have everyone call the brief. Then a marshal wait a few minutes at the back of the hanger. Then walk up. As soon as he reaches the netting to the game area we stop any players from passing.... That way we have given people enough time to get up.

We always give people the time before and after the brief to sort their kit out.

Could the safety brief be done in the hanger? especially on rainy days.

That'd be alot better! Out the damn cold! Afew weeks ago Sam moved it to the Pub coz it was really throwing it down!

a few Anzios ago we got fed up waiting and forced a group of players to wait until after the game started for their brief as they were holding everyone else up.

To be honest I think that should be standard response everytime it happens

1 person likes this

To be honest I think that should be standard response everytime it happens

I agree!

(Remember this is just my opinion so the big cheeses need to be convinced ;) aha)

We had made the trip from Northern Ireland on Saturday to play at the site. The site looked absolutly amazing, the turnout was fantastic, the players very friendly and honest BUT we felt that the whole days gaming scenario was terrible. We defended the whole day and no matter what way the story was told, we basically defended and object. The best games were the last two that we had to clear the buildings as they were fast packed with action and engagement. The site has sooo much potential it is unreal but sometimes its better to keep it simple rather than try to be different ;)

Taping up both arms to help id friendly or foe.

Also consider first game single shot only (for full auto capable sites). This may help to prevent the 'banning' of full auto for the rest of the day as has often happened at Anzio. I'm not a big full auto fan but appreciate those who buy & bring their own weaponry which only works on full auto. They aren't many places folk get to use them and it does add variety to the battlefield/ game.

fernhead, on 21 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Could the safety brief be done in the hanger? especially on rainy days.

That'd be alot better! Out the damn cold! Afew weeks ago Sam moved it to the Pub coz it was really throwing it down!

The above was my idea!! Could t understand why we were stood out in the rain. Personally I did mean the bigger room in the pub not the smaller one on the parade ground side. You need a larger area cause the noise of people just milling about rebounds inside, this making it harder to be heard.

Re the safety brief. I agree it would be nice to make it quicker but printing it out guarantees mos won't read it and especially any new items/ changes would be missed. Maybe a posh recorded DVD presentation? :o)

(Just kidding!!)

1 person likes this

When I last attended Anzio, I found that the large tree at the base of the hill going up to the magazine, had like an umbrella effect, any body could stand up straight around the trunk, as the branches came down on the edges to touch the ground, if you throw in some sandbags around this edge, and maybe some old unused tables/chairs ammo boxes etc, it could become an awesome little outpost either used for general gameplay, or an objective. It'll add some new atmosphere to the urban and wild terrains already there :)

I joked with one of the wardens at the end of a round about how funny it would be for there to be a free-4-all round or squad death match. Prob, small squad of 4s (based on how many arrive on the day). I know that the respawn can become weird when 4 squads respawn at the same place/time.

On the subject, more than two teams. It seems like its always either USA forces Vs Taliban forces. You could start the day with USA, UK, Russia, Iraq, Germany, French etc. Then combine the forces nearer on to the end.

What you think...