zero

Feedback for the event

18 posts in this topic

Thats the first time i have done more than a simply skirmish day. I will go with a no hold barred pros and cons list: (Just my opinion and bare in mind i only saw things from the UK/US forces side)

PROS:

2 full days of continous scenario... :) Every single objective, every contact all adding up to the final confrontation on day two. Simply awesome.

The command of each side splitting down into sections/fireteams with assigned leaders worked well (at least from the UK/US forces side)

Using the whole site..every single lovely square inch of that varied terrain. Even saw places i had never seen before in many trips to the armoury.

Ammo restrictions making every shot so very important, no simple blazing away.

In character perfomances from the commanders and many others really getting into the spirit of things.

Hats off to the russian scientist we captured, she played the role fantastically well.

The small shop for last minute bits and bobs was also great.

Out in the field with just what you take in.

The gathering around the campfire at the end of the first hard day, sharing stories, having a good yatter.

The option of a single day for some players so they could participate without the two day committment.

Quality of play was high with good sportsmanship.

I think i have finally gotten the hang of being the pointman.....no fear!

CONS:

Comms need to be sorted out before things start.

On the 2nd day i was told gameplay would start at 8am (totally forgot about this, but was up at 6am just in case) A few found the fact the start of day two was delayed to be a tad off putting. That then changed when a rumour of sausage breakfast went around....but alas never appeared.

No checks were made to see if people were following the magazine/ammo restrictions. I saw a few infractions but didnt want to say anything that may affect peoples enjoyment of the day

...Oh and nearly forgot a really awesome Pro..

Shooting Sam on the top of hilltop from the opposite side of the path to engineering while chest deep in brambles. I am sure my 416 will never let off a shot like that ever again. The hundreds of cuts are worth it....bloody stung again like merry hell when i got in the long awaited hot bath at home though.

I agree with the majority of what zero says above. The organisation in game seemed very good (I just wish the start times could get sorted out, as this seems a regular thing with f&o events, the only con in my opinion).

Re: gameplay, I saw some awesome hit taking and only heard one real complaint regarding no hit taking.

The final showdown was brilliant, an excellent crescendo from a big build up.

Big thanks to marshals and organisers for making it a brilliant day.

Has anyone heard how Vic is doing with his ankle?

..to be honest the fact day two started later was ok with me as i was still pretty knackered

it was my first time at the armoury and my first time doing anything milsim outside of the old corp wars games so I was expecting to be a little out of my depth.

the site is awesome. I knew the armoury was tough but I spent hours wandering around that site while brambles cut me to ribbons and don't regret a second of this. marshalling and briefing all went really well as is the standard for F&O and the commanders and squad leaders performed brilliantly.

that said I did think there were a few issues, biggest being team balance. discounting the epic final confrontation at engineering the russians got their arses kicked again and again in just about every conflict we got into. a big part of this was down to numbers as US/UK forces outnumbered us quite badly and could easily overwhelm us while we could only put two teams of six out at any one time plus another team to defend the FOB (not to do the US/UK players an injustice, they fought like demons all weekend and played spectacularly) the fact we were constantly on the defensive didn't help much, especially in the villiage defence on sunday where we struggled to cover an entire perimeter with only six men.

another issue that wasn't mine but was mentioned by another player was they felt the russian commander tended to use one of the teams to do all the 'interesting' missions while other teams got stuck on long patrols or guard duty constantly. honestly I don't know if theres any validity to this, the team rotation at the start of the day worked well at first but towards the end of the day seemed to stop and didn't resume on the sunday. two hours spent guarding engineering when there were no objectives or activity on it seemed like wasted time to me.

all that said I know the marshalls were aware of the numbers issue and worked hard to put it right and make sure everyone enjoyed themselves. and despite my playing like crap all weekend (only got about 4 hits in and walking right past the mortar tube is probably my most hilariously embarrasing moment in airsoft) I did really enjoy myself, The armoury is a cracking site and the marshal team did a really good job getting everything organised.

1 person likes this

Has anyone heard how Vic is doing with his ankle?

Vic has been visited by Bongo whos going to be keeping an eye on him in the way only bongo can, He has broken both his Tibia and Fibula however is doing well, He also had a nice relaxing Birthday im sure in Hospital. We've sent him all our best wishes

As an in game marshal I must commended all players involved on this day. I rarely get to see such high quality play and both sides showed it. There were only a couple of issues with gameplay but with all players mentioning any issues thru the marshals, it worked really well.

The Good things

Hidden bases,making the UK US force sections stay on stag allowed us to rotate our manpower quite effectively and allowed us a chance to rest.

Using the whole site, that place is huge and as Zero mentioned I also got to play parts of the site I never knew about.

Plenty of intel and being regularly briefed. We always had an objective throuout the day so manged to stay busy.

The bad things.

I heard a few of the Russian forces mention that they felt they had missed some of the action and had gone hours without a contact. I didn't experience this on the UK/US side but I mention it since I heard it mentioned more than once.

Comms. Perhaps allow for forces to plan their communications more effectively before the game. The backbone of good Milsim games is good communications between all units in my opinion.

All said It was a great game and really well run, bearing in mind it was the first game of its type at the site and run by guys who hadn't run this game style before.

See you for part two...

Edited by buddy
1 person likes this

It was my 1st Milsim and i have to say i had a great time but for me personally not without issues, so here goes with the pro's & cons..

I was in section 2 of Allied Forces.

Pros:

Teams split into squads for patrolling.

The use of the full Armoury site (seen some places I've never seen before).

People getting into the spirit of the game.

Team play.

Cons:

Communications failed on many levels ie equipment and execution.

I would like to see more assaults like the last one in engineering (i only had 2 fire-fights all weekend, the action always seemed to be where i wasn't :( ).

Start time on Sunday was very slow and late.

Relaying of information from sergeants down to section members was inadequate at times. (on several occasions myself and team mate were unaware of what was going on, or told when squad was bugging out and lost contact from section).

Suggestions:

Maybe have the FoB a no go area so people aren't stuck on stag for long periods of time with no action.?

Have multiple squads working together to achieve a set goal (This may have happened alot, im not sure, but only once for me, briefly)

Ambush scenarios,

Rescue the VIP scenario.

The list is endless :D

It may sound a little harsh but I like to tell it like I see it :P . That said I had an awesome weekend and as usual everyone including Bongo/Marshals were excellent.

Bring on Part 2!!

Gary.

2 people like this

Ladies and Gents

Op Cold Dawn was one of the best weekenders I've been on. It was well planned and executed and full of genuinely friendly lads and lasses.

The Games were exciting and missions were set out so the adrenaline kept spiking.

Loved that we had 3 sections and so we were able to rotate around missions / stag / downtime etc.

AND as unfortunate as it was that one chap broke his leg (hope he's OK by the way) it was good to see Bongo and all the team were prepared, professional and dealt with the situation very well. (Big Kudos - I've been on sites where the everyone's day has fallen apart over a boo-boo).

Overall - Storming weekend guys. Well done!

Roll On Part 2!!

1 person likes this

Have to say I really enjoyed the two days completely.

I was UK/US Section 3 lead.

Pro's :

I agree with Buddy rotation allowed everyone a chance at the front to be the lead team on op or the response force.

Hidden bases made us maintain a sentry screen at all time ( some found this boring but for me it added to the game ! ) we did have to repel an attack on the base during the second day.

Using the site was great, there was still more areas that didn't get full use Nam being one of them.

Restriction on contact and rules of engagement - this was a weekend of missions that followed a story line not a weekend skirmish so contacts were short brutal firefights for a objective or ambush.

Effort put in by so many of both teams ( I had two players who were on their second time ever playing airsoft and one who was on his first and they kept up with us all weekend !

Level of game play - hit taking and general attitude was great even after a fire fight there was a quick bit of good natured banter between everyone.

Cons:

A more balance approach to numbers on the teams may have helped the Russians in terms of sqauds and deployment.

A more punctual start on the second day.

Conclusion

For me the fact that it was not constant fighting added to the event it seperated it from a normal skimish day to a mission objective focused day, that for me is more Milsim and how it was advertised.

The loss of comms was fustrating at times ( I lost comms completely two times) it made me use a comms operator which wrked really well with three of my team having reliable comms, and it also added to the realism and confusion of op's.

Met some great new people and got to shoot and get shot by some good mates.

I am definitely up for round 2 !

Cheers

Gregg

Edited by FlacidJoker

Though I only took part on the Sunday I had an absolute blast, the two man russian sniper team treated as a sniper team and given our mission and told to get on with it as we saw fit- awesome. lots of sneaky sneaky and reporting back to base.

Play was solid all round and very few issues all day loved it.

Though I only took part on the Sunday I had an absolute blast, the two man russian sniper team treated as a sniper team and given our mission and told to get on with it as we saw fit- awesome. lots of sneaky sneaky and reporting back to base.

My elbow can testify to that sneakiness..still cant believe you spent an hour in cover just 15 feet from two entire sections of our team. Very impressive...as i would have fallen asleep.

Loved the weekend, was a very different experience to a skirmish, I think I only went through about a quarter of a bottle of BB's overall, due to the lack of contact and careful conservation of ammo.

I felt the UK/US team were very well organised thanks to bongo.

Highlights

Sneaking through the site on both mornings, trying to be as silent as possible to get intel on the Russians movements.

Sneaking round the back of the Russian base and waiting till it was clear before proceeding forward, writing "Team Hades =)" on their white board and pinching the Russians flag :P

Defending the nuclear device, from the Russian team was a blast, that engineering place is great to defend, awesome way to end the weekend.

Wasn't quite happy with the last assault on the engineering though as section 1 (us) were asked to stay back and reinforce when requested, however this request never came through so basically we were holding back while this massive battle was going on, we were all getting itchy feet until eventually we thought "**** it" and joined in anyway.

And I hope the fella who broke his leg won't kept from airsofting for too long.

Oh and if anyone has that photo of us with the flag could put it up on the FB page it would be much appreciated.

Edited by BrakSpear

Absolutely cracking event. Met some new and old faces, all cracking blokes, hopefully I can play alongside you guys again.

Pros:

1. Swapping the roles of each unit on the Russian team was an awesome idea. Gives one unit the chance to rearm and have a breather back at base if they are defending.

2. The effort was great on both sides, absolutely spot on.

3. Everything that people have said already before me.

Now for the improvements/minor issues.

1. Comms. Speaks for itself.

2. Russian GRU: We went three or four hours without seeing anyone, maybe we were just unlucky.

3. Team balancing. When the village became pistols only, a lot of us lacked sidearms. Thats where a large portion of the fight situated, and our unit (See 2.) were forced to go walkies elsewhere, hence the lack of engagements for us.

4. One or two situations of hit taking. I doubt I missed a man-sized target from four metres away through a couple of thistles even after 5 shots, although that isn't specific to OCD. Still, we lost some ground because of it.

5. Some parts of the site can be cleared out even more so. To the left of Engineering in sort of the direction of the Fort is a pathway or two. A month or two ago I could get through there, no longer the case. Not sure if thats a gameplay decision, but it did mean the back route to Engineering became obsolete.

6. Perhaps next time we can have more in-depth RoE. Like Russians going out unarmed investigating what is going on.

7. Maybe, if there is the money or time for it, have detailed bombs and IEDs, where we can defuse and cut wires. Even have someone in an EOD suit or something, making the 'long walk'. Have designated EOD operators, scout snipers, DMs and various other roles, so there is more structure than generals and lieutenants. More depth for each person with specific responsibilities. That would be sweet.

8. COMMS!!!

Final comments

It was far more in depth than the standard Open Day, which gave me a different experience. I don't want to wait another year for the next one though :P

All in all, a great event at a great site.

Hope Vic is doing ok, he got pretty unlucky with that and hope he has a speedy recovery.

Keep up the great work, F&O. You never disappoint me.

Thank you,

Ali

1 person likes this

regards "clearing the site" i found the most difficult terrain a tactical advantage and am glad i slogged through the engineering backroute to pick up the airdrop cache on behalf of the allies with no resistance at all (not including the rest of my team being massacred on the main path to engineering....your sacrifice will not be forgotten)

also i climbed chest deep through brambles for 5 minutes to take out a russian sniper....sooooworth it.

If there isnt a path..............make one :)

We did spend a full week clearing paths into all the buildings. Especially, command post & Top Secret. Unfortunately at this time of the year nature takes over and we lose alot of routes around the site- but we decided to run with it, as it'd be impossible to fight nature off at Wrexham. Welsh Nature- dont mess with it ;)

Thanks for everyones comments keep em coming all good!

Hey guys, i'm back home and am now minus my excellent bearded nurse so thought i'd check in on here with the rest of you fine chaps :)

Firstly i just want to say a huge thank you to everybody that was there that day, as it all suddenly went wrong for me everyone was doing what they could to help. The rapid response to the ceasefire by all of the players making it easier for my fellow marshal pals to get to me, the lads that stuck around to have a bit of a laugh with me whilst i was waiting for the paramedics to arrive (you guys kept me smiling), and also to all of the poor, poor buggers that helped to stretcher my immobile carcass out of the woods all the way to the safe zone. Thanks to Parasite and Hollyoak who despite not even being at the event made the journey to collect my car and kit, and a huge thanks to Bongo for helping me out with pretty much everything - especially for being my bro/nursemaid for the past few days.

If all of that isn't proof that Airsofters are a community and not just merely an army of lunatics hell bent on shooting at each other for laughs, i don't know what is.

Right, overly sentimental and mildly gushy declaration done with. My saturday leading the Russian Spetsnaz sqaud overall was a lot of fun and in my completely non-biased opinion ;) i thought we did rather damn well. Nothing whatsoever went to plan, not once - but we fought our way through each encounter and from what i experienced of the opposition, you guys were well on your game and stopped us dead more than once, and i honestly enjoyed every contact :) The early evening seemed to be brewing up nicely as a big fight was ready to go down around the village, only for me to unintentionally call a lengthy halt to the game by snapping both bones in my lower right leg, ironically by getting my foot caught in some unseen growth whilst trying to avoid a trip hazard.

I enjoyed the whole theme for the event and thought the game was well ran, and the squad dynamic seemed to work well for Spetsnaz. Comms were a bit crap but this is milsim - in real life, things go wrong.

One last big thanks to everyone who's been asking about me and wishing me well etc, and i'll catch you all at some point soon as i hobble around a safe-zone somewhere, trying to blag someone into making me a brew...

6 people like this

I gave a full debrief to Digger on the day, but a few extra things have come to mind over the days following.

Comms: Having been to Berget, a major milsim in Sweden, I can say they won’t get any better. The site is too hilly and dense with buildings and trees to offer good coverage from public band radios. So you would be now looking at private band/powerful sets that I think are out of most people’s price range. That or do what Berget did and get a 30 foot portable radio mast. They also gave out pay as you go mobiles to senior command staff because it was easier to get a mobile signal.

Also, one type tends to not want to talk to another, so for local/squad comms you would need to make sure that units are on the same/similar makes. All of this takes time to program and get working, so If game on was 10, you would need to plan ops won’t start till 11 as people sort comm nets out.

Squads & NCOs: Since comms will always fail, the next best option is a good squad leader and plan of action. I think the big improvement needs to be that command & NCO’s need to be chosen and in place weeks before the event to allow them to plan. The failure on the day (I speak about the Russians here), was that while we had an overall idea of what was going on, we didn’t have a clear set of objectives to achieve to do it. Since comms always fail, everyone needs to know how to win the game on their own, so they can make their own judgments and proceed. A common mistake is that command staff keep information to themselves and not pass a full briefing onto the teams because they ‘don’t need to know’. It’s a big mistake. No one ever lost a game because they knew too much. The best way to do this is have full command meetings with team NCO’s where a full debrief and mission update is given in group so everyone is fully aware of what the current situation is.

NCO’s also need to give orders that take into consideration that comms always fail. For example:

Assault Engineering for 2pm. Attack lasts one hour. Re group at Top Secret for 3.20. If you can’t make that, go to the Village to re-enforce the defenders, as we will go via there on our way back. If all else fails, head back to HQ and wait.

This will of cause necessitate a certain amount of training for the NCO and command staff. Perhaps they could arrive Friday evening and do there admin and organisation then?

Hi all.

This was the first time I have participated in air soft I had planned to stay for the full weekend, but I had to pull out at the end of the Saturday due to me badly spraining my ankle, (It still hasn't quite healed).

I would like to thank the person who provided the pain killers/gel when I returned to the safe zone.

I had a great time and I will definetely be taking part in more airsoft events. I can't wait for an operation cold dawn 2. Also, I am considering attempting to arrange airsoft for my stag do.

Thanks everyone for making this such a great day

2 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor