Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Megatron

October 11th - feedback

7 posts in this topic

Hello all. I just wanted to thank the team for a good day at Anzio yesterday. Didn't see any issues with hit-taking and the sportsmanship was spot on. Lost count of the number of times I heard 'good shot mate' or 'well taken', which is always good to hear. Excellent work from the marshals too, I don't think there was a single point where one of you wasn't within shouting distance. Keep it up.

I only have two criticisms of the day. One, the sheer number of friendly fire incidents; and two, the length of the safety brief in the morning.

Frankly, the number blue on blues I both saw and fell victim to was absolutely shocking. I have never played a game where so many people were just point blank refusing to check their targets before firing.

In the first game of the day (the escalating engagement), myself and a teammate headed outside from our start point in D1, and took up a spot just outside, underneath a tree facing D4. There wasn't much happening in D1 so we thought we'd go and pick a fight to try and get things moving. Next thing we knew, we got lit up by a bloke on our own side from the top floor of D1. Another lad came out to medic us, and during this I heard the guy saying that 'I just saw some movement so I shot at it' - what? I can appreciate that we aren't that visible when we're obscured by branches but we had to waste a medic because someone wasn't willing to take a few seconds to try and get a PID on his target.

I know lives aren't at risk in airsoft, but if yesterday was for real, we wouldn't have been able to just jump back in the fight after a 10-second medic. That would have been two less people to fight on the guy’s team, and all because of an avoidable lack of trigger discipline.

The second issue for me and a couple of other fellas was the safety brief. Please note, this isn’t a personal criticism against individual marshals, and nor should it be treated as such.

My beef is not with content of it, because everything that needed to be covered was, but rather the length. I timed it from when it started at 9.33 and finished at 10.08 - that's 35 minutes. I've heard of other safety briefs from other sites taking 10-15 minutes in the past, where everything was understood by everyone. I can appreciate that safety must come first in this sport, and that it’s important for new players to fully understand all the rules, but your average player could probably recite the safety brief in his sleep because he’s heard the whole thing many times before.

A side issue to this is when marshals have to wait for everyone to arrive at the brief before he starts/ If stragglers are still faffing around in the safe zone 5 minutes after ‘everyone make their way up to the safety brief’ is shouted by a marshal, then they should miss 5 minutes of the first game. I shouldn’t have to miss out on game time because of other people’s poor personal administration.

Likewise, if I'm taking a day off work and paying £35 to play, plus the associated costs of getting to Anzio from Bolton, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect as much game time as possible. The booking thread for yesterday’s skirmish even states a game start time of 10am, so I fully expect to be slotting people with gay abandon at 10.01. However, by the time the safety brief had finished, everyone had gone back to the safe zone to get ready, returned to the parade ground, the game brief had been delivered and people had got to their start points, it was 10.30 when the first shout of 'game on' went up. Lunch started at 12.15, and afternoon play commenced at 1.15, finishing at 4. That's 4 and a half hours of play instead of 5. Half an hour less than promised might not seem like a huge deal to some people, but it is when briefings are taking 35 minutes, and we aren’t even anywhere near to commencing the game.

All I’m asking for here is a look at how the brief is delivered. It should be short, sharp and to the point, rather than drawn out and repetitive which is how some briefings have been in the past. If it helps, marshals could use crib sheets to refer to, instead of going ‘anything I’ve missed?’ and asking the players to remind him of anything he might have overlooked. Marshals should know what they’re saying and how they’re saying it, without leaving any room for misunderstanding on the players’ part.

I’m not against a couple of jokes here and there to liven up what can often be a rather dull experience, and I can appreciate that it must be boring for the marshals to have to deliver the same brief week in, week out, but 35 minutes is a lot of time, especially if it’s encroaching on the stated game start time. If people have questions or aren’t sure of anything, they should wait until the end of the brief, rather than the marshal having to interrupt himself to deal with individual questions before carrying on, which makes the whole thing take even longer.

I’m fully open to criticism on any of my points here, if anything I’m keen to know if anyone else feels the same.

Cheers,

Chris

2 people like this

Was a good day with some good games, gameplay was spot on.

I agree with chris about the schedule though. If you feel its necessary to publish the timeline, every effort should be made to stick to it. Ive been guilty of not being there on time in the past.

If its going to take 45 mins start it at 0905. Theres no more than 10 relevant points to a brief (hits, medics, radio /game shouts, safety and bannable stuff) so imo should take no longer than 20 mins. Or if ypu dont get game on till half ten, play till half four.

Friendly fire, I know in some instances its a matter of reflexes, but I got hit by a few where the perp was stood behind us, if you cant check your targets in that sort of situation imo you shouldnt really be playing with guns, toy or otherwise. If you walk from the brief, and climb in the same window as a team mate, how, 30 secs later do you shoot said team mate while saying " I didnt know what team you were on" Engage brain before target.

Im reading this Chirs and bells are ringing in my head , a guy not so long ago said that it was not the fault of some people who had made some bad mistakes contributing in the closure of a new site as " it was not covers in the briefing " , cause and effect .

That aside the answer is easy we can do short briefings when there are a few hires and we can support the players more in the first few games to bring them up to speed , if there is quiet a few new players we take more time and full explane the rules as we can not supply the same support .i have tried separate briefing new vs vets , with the emphasis on if you got to vets and you get it wrong your sin binned , that did not work . i tried the same with printed rules to be signed off by vets . by lunch four were sat in the safe zone binned all had signed and all had broken the rules . so one breif for all short or long depending on new players - this works best as an extra ten fifteen mins spent here normally make a hole lot of difference to the days play .now i whole heartedly agree with the late bastards from the safe zone , its the bane of open days for me , once again we have tried lots of different things . once i stood at the netting at Anzio and sent ten or so players back .you should have heard the winging .and complaints. I am interested to here ideas on this tho .

1 person likes this

Jamie , People will moan for the first few times, If you let them moan themselves out, 1 of 2 things will happen. Theyll go and play somewhere else (not a great loss) or theyll be on time next time.

Im guilty of it at Bolton, no one rushes us so why rush our selves? If Sam made people miss the first bit of the first game they would be there on time.

I dont get how it didnt work with the 'vets' though.

From the way you have written it it seems they were getting up set about being punished for breaking the rules. Wheres the problem. If you think you can do without the safety brief because you are experienced then end up getting booted for breaking basic rules, then the surely the system is working. If I broke a basic rule (cmon theyre all basic) then I would epect to be punished for it (and I have been) The sorts of people who would moan about being punished for breaking the rules, are they that much of an asset? Let em go play somewhere else and moan there

1 person likes this