Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darkdog

Safety recommendation

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

having joined up and have booked my first event for 22nd Feb 2015 I would like some recommendations on safety gear as I wish to get my own for future use, which type of goggles and face mask, mesh or Perspex type?.

Also I am aware that I cannot purchase my own AEG until UKARA number is issued, but how I understand it I could use a loaned AEG until then, is that correct?.

Many thanks

Tim

Eye/face protection is largely a matter of choice. Mesh doesn't fog, but it does slightly reduce the light reaching your eyes and so make fine detail indistinct. Main thing is proper ballistic impact rating. Full face protection is strongly recommended.

You can USE any airsoft weapon you like, so site hire guns, lends from mates are all good, subject to site FPS limits. What you can't do without a valid defense is buy, sell or manufacturer a realistic looking one.

Edited by Mathusalah
1 person likes this

Many thanks for the reply, what ballistic rating do I look for?, is there any marking like in CE?, I will go for full face protection and have been looking at the V force armour, it does appear more for paint balling though and may have vents big enough for a bb to pass through

ANZI Z87 is the rating you are looking for on American products. Ideally ANZI Z87+ which is a higher standard and what you generally get on products like Revision and ESS military spec goggles.

The UK ratings are EN 166F (lowest) EN 166B (middle rated) EN 166A ( the best). Due to how they are tested though the frames are considered part of the testing so the lenses might in some shooting glasses be EN 166A rated, but the over all product will be rated as EN 166F (the lowest fail point). I don't believe any spectacle type product can be rated over EN 166F.

My recommendation would be to go with military spec goggles and a lower mesh mask. I'd not recommend a paintball mask unless the grill at the front was tight enough hole wise to keep bbs out.

Thank you for the rating information for goggles, I had come to the conclusion that goggles and mesh mask was the way to go :-), those ratings I feel are important and maybe worth putting in FAQ with so many cheapo ones on Ebay and the like.